Saturday, December 16, 2006

Home for Christmas and taking hot showers!

Hey everyone, happy holidays!!!! I hope everyone is keeping happy, healthy, and warm!! I am home for Christmas right now, and I have been slowly but surely reacclimating to life with hot showers, vegetables, electricity, and burrrrrr, the cold! I got home on Wednesday the 12th, and I will be here until the 2nd of January. I already do miss Annai, but I know that I will be back soon enough. While I am here I have been enjoying the company of my much missed mother, and I have been able to see most of my family (I get to see the rest tomorrow...my niece is starring in a play and I can't wait to see it!)and some friends. I am trying to convince my brother to let me have a party at his house on Friday the 22nd, so if you are in the area of St. Charles, keep it in mind. I have been eating my little heart out, salads for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I have been cooking, and my mom and I bought a 50 pound bag of flour to work on my bread making. I am going to be cooking most of the dinner on Christmas, and I am really excited for that. I will make a few things that I have learned to make in Guyana, like roti, bake, and a curry of some sort. My mom, brother, his girlfriend Courtney, my friend Erin, and I went out for seafood at McCormick and Schmick's last night, it was oh so good...New York strip, seared rare yellowfin tuna, calamari, some good wine....it was heaven. I am mmming and ahhhing everything I put near my mouth to taste or near my nose to smell. I went grocery shopping with my mom the first full day I was home, and man was that a bit overwhelming, but man did we get some good stuff! I wonder if I didn't come back in the middle of all this how intense my readjustment would be at the end of the year. It would be interesting if there was a way I could see...I guess I will just have to do it again sometime and stay put for the whole year. I do feel incredibly lucky to be home, I probably would have been crying my eyes out on Christmas day. It will be cool to hear from Gace and Kirsty and Bryan (other volunteers that stayed there) to see how thier Christmas was.
Well, I hope that everyone is doing good and trying to take time to enjoy the season for what it is supposed to be and if I don't have a chance to see you or talk to you, well, let me bid you a very merry holiday season! Take care!!
P.S. I am working on November's newsletter now...I will have it up in the next few days, but until then I hope you are enjoying finally being able to see some pictures!

3 comments:

Kirsty Meldrum said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kirsty Meldrum said...

Hey Heather! As you can see, I had some difficulty posting a comment... but hopefully this will work?! Well I hope you're enjoying life back home & even in the freezing cold, are keeping on the sunny side! Have an amazing Christmas & New Year :) Love Kirsty xx
p.s Grace is wondering who Gace is??

Heather said...

I gotcha Kirsty...nice to hear from you...I hope that you two are enjoying your break down there and that you had a very merry Christmas!! Tell Gace i say hi!! haha.